Jim Monaghan aka “Jim the Boss” & “Steady Rocker” began Studio Two Recordings in 2008. He started out recording rappers, singers, songwriters, bands, and everything in between and pretty much every genre he could get his hands on for experience. After living briefly in Florida, he had brought back a love for Jamaican Music, mostly for Rocksteady, Early Jamaican and Skinhead Reggae, and Dancehall. He started playing in a dub band called Soul Minds in Dub with Gregory Kage and Chris Mills, who would later appear on many recordings not only for Jim, but for The Something Somethings and David Hillyard.
Soul Minds in Dub lasted about 2 years, but the main goal for the band was to make some sort of a living playing in the subways and streets of NYC. They were successful but disbanded because each person wanted to pursue other ventures. A little time went by and Jim found himself producing a project, The Something Somethings, with his good friend Lacey. They played a handful of shows and produced 4 albums worth of material. They are currently on hiatus, but return every now and then to play an impromptu show or release a recording. At this time, he began a working relationship with bassist Steve Capecci, and drummer Patrick Meyer, from Big Boss Reggae Band and Top Shotta.
Also around the time of the hiatus of The Something Somethings, he had began a project with Gregory Kage and David Hillyard. They produced a track that had some airplay and a few write
ups on websites and plan to release a full length album sometime in the near future. Jim produces most of the projects he plays in. He can play a wide variety of instruments including but not limited to Drums, Guitar, Piano and Organ. He took a few instructions learning Latin and Jazz drumming and attended The School of Audio Engineering in both Miami FL and New York City.
If you would like Jim to produce, arrange, mix, or play on any of your recordings you can contact him at this Email Address.
Epiosde 205, 29 August 2012
1. Lloydie and The Lowbites – Rough Rider
2. The English Beat – Rough Rider
3. Danny Ray – Can’t Get Used To Losing You
4. The English Beat – Can’t Get Used To Losing You
5. Jackie Moore & Steady Rocker – Leather Maker
6. Rocker & Kage – It’s a Good Day
7. Iacomus The Controller with David Hillyard & Steady Rocker – Steady Rockers Anthem
8. Gregory Kage – Dub Star
9. Chris Mills & Soul Minds in Dub – I Shot You Down
10. Joe Gibbs – Fat Dog
11. The Rhythm Doctors – Mad Dog in the Fog
12. Chris Murray Combo – Maga Dog
13. Sierra Leone’s Refugee All-Stars – Big Fat Dog
14. Andrew Diamond feat. Queen Ifrica – Puss and Dog War
15. Little Axe – come-here-dog-and-get-your-bone
16. The Beatdown – Mad Dog
17. Mr T Bone – A Better Man
18. Cornell Campbell – My only lover
19. Slim Smith – Sitting in the Park
20. The Sidewalk Doctors – Every Dog Has Its Day
21. Flipron feat. Neville Staple – TCR from Tiny Dog Records
22. The Yoots – Nga Iwi [NZ]
Download this episode: